Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Palin phenomenon

Since Sarah Palin was thrust into the national spotlight I think every Alaskan has probably lost track of how many times we've been asked by curious "outside" friends and family "What do you think of her?" and "What do you think of her nomination?". The consensus among friends around the university, women and men, is that she made a decent governor (only party because the one she replaced was so abysmal) and that in the last 2 weeks she's become almost unrecognizable as the Sarah Palin we knew as governor. I marvel at the mysterious process that transformed a small-state governor into a sound-bite uttering national politician in just a week...it must be intense! How she managed that while caring for an infant is beyond me. Anyway, there was a rally in Anchorage recently that expressed similar opinions via homemade signs (but there are, of course, plenty of Alaskan's who think her nomination rivals sliced bread). These were emailed to me, ironically, by friends living in the lower 48.


It sure is eye-opening to watch what happens when the political machine moves in and takes over in a small, out of the way state! Nice to see that the locals can still make themselves heard over all the spin. As much as I'd like to see a woman in the white house, I can't take Sarah Palin V.P. seriously, and frankly, I find listening to her tough talk about foreign policy a little creepy. That said, I must acknowledge that a McCain/Palin win could be the best thing to ever happen to Saturday Night Live.

No comments: